Sunday, August 4, 2013

Rivals to built in best friends

     As a child, having siblings typically means being annoyed most of the time, having regular bruises, and of course getting in trouble for an offense you didn’t commit.  As I watch my boys grow, I try not to be too terribly frustrated when they have days when they argue and bicker continually.  Every single disagreement they have is basically the same scenario… Gavin irritates Carson by following, touching or copying him and then Carson hits or tackles Gavin, causing Gavin to end up crying and tattling.  Oddly when Gavin tattles, he never seems to remember what he did that caused Carson’s retaliation.

      Although I am now becoming accustomed to watching boys fight, I grew up with younger, twin sisters and when girls fight, it’s a form of art! Precious treasures mysteriously disappear, the light cryptically shut off while you are showering, and phone messages never make it to the recipient…weird, right?  For a period of time I had my sisters trading me dimes for nickels because I convinced them that the nickels were worth more because they were bigger. My sister Jennifer used to grow her finger nails out so she could claw when necessary and Julie actually chucked a dressed cheeseburger at Jennifer’s face once.  However after a period of time, this merciless torture transformed.

      Shortly after I entered high school and my sisters jr. high, the idea of making each other’s lives miserable began to lighten and although the challenge of giving each other a difficult time continued, it became clear, that although we can irritate each other, outsiders were not allowed to participate in the scrutiny!  One occasion I had an ex-boyfriend swerve in the road towards me and although he was not a serious threat, my little sister jumped on her bike, peddled to the grocery store where he worked and proceeded to read him his pedigree, completely humiliating him!  

        As adults, siblings become your built in best friends.  They understand your insecurities and are not afraid to tell you when you look hideous or are acting like a troll. They are always in your corner and always know just what to say. 

        I have shared some of these stories with my boys in hopes of not actually giving them more ideas of how to torture each other, but to teach them that even though they do  not realize it now, one day they will be grateful for each other.  I also share these stories with my students with embellished details, since they usually hear them through my writing.  And the fun part about sharing stories such as these with my students, versus my own kids is any ideas they develop are not my problem to correct….sorry parents!

No comments:

Post a Comment