Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Another Surprise Boy: Birth Story 2 of 3

It was March 16th and I was a little over 38 weeks pregnant and beginning to wonder if this baby was ever going to enter the world.  We were going to Robert’s parents’ house for supper and I decided I was going to walk over there.  You see I was entering the stage of pregnancy that many women enter titled, “walk the baby out.”  So I tackle the few hills and walk at a brisk pace, eat hardly anything, and return home the same way.  I am sure the rest of the family thought I was a little crazy and they were probably correct but I had a baby to walk out! 

When I arrived home, I began feeling the tightening that I remember so well when Carson arrived.  I knew we were going to the hospital that evening.  So I of course think, oh I have done this before, no big deal, we have all kinds of time.  Robert and Carson arrive home shortly after me.  I think he waited a bit before leaving to make sure I did not end up on the side of the road somewhere on my insistent walk home.  I told Robert to go feed his cows and complete any farm tasks he needed to and I would give Carson a bath and get his parents to come over because we were going to the hospital.  All the while, we are taking our sweet time. We get Carson settled with Granny and Pappy and then head for the hospital.  As we get closer to the hospital, mamma is feeling some pain.  By the time we arrive and I had to stand up to walk through the doors, I swear I thought that baby was going to fall out on the floor!

We were checked in and my regular doctor was at a NASCAR race (couldn’t make it up), so her partner was on call.  Of course he did not know me from any other crazy, pregnant lady so was not in a big hurry to keep me.  Robert, spoke up and informed the nurse that this baby was coming tonight and we were not leaving and if they forced us to we were going to the next closest hospital.  Typically my husband is mild mannered but you mess with his family, you better brace yourself.  They decided to keep us and a give me the much needed epidural and by 1:30 in the morning we were greeted with a St. Patrick’s Day surprise….a  baby boy, Gavin!

No comments:

Post a Comment