Friday, July 5, 2013

City to country

     If someone would have asked me 15 years ago to describe what my adult life would look like, I would describe it as teaching and living in a moderate sized city, residing in a suburb and married with two kids. I would not have describe it as living on a cattle farm with my husband and sons with a  baby on the way.
      Keep in mind prior to meeting my husband, I had never mowed grass, managed a garden, touched a bale of hay or even considered swimming in a pond; all of which I have nearly mastered in the 11 years my husband and I have been together.
      Despite the fact that I had never even started a lawn mover in my previous life, I am the primary grass mower and weed-eater of my household.  However my skills still need some development.  So far... just this year, I have have ran over a piece of farm equipment, a metal post and lots of gravel. Needless to say the blades on our lawn mover need lots of TLC each year.  However given my background and mowing experience my husband just smiles, shakes his head and regularly sharpens the blades.  Mowing is one of my favorite summer pastimes.  If there were Grammys given for lawn mower singing, I would be an assured winner!
         Another activity that I strangely enjoy is putting up square bales.  To me it is great exercise and I enjoy the bonding with family and friends.  Granted my sister-in-law says I do this ridiculous girly kick thing when I throw the bale, I still manage to get the bale where it needs to go! My boys love to run in the hay field or drive the truck between the bales.  It is truly a family event.
        My oldest son expresses to me on a regular basis how happy he is that we live on a farm; he is just like his father.  Although my life is nothing like what I would have imagined it to be, I would not change one aspect and even though you may find me in my kitchen canning or in my yard pulling weeds, I will likely have some type of fabulous shoes on and of course a stylish outfit.  You can take the girl out of the city but not ALL of the city out of the girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment