Friday, July 5, 2013

Know-it-all teacher to a work in progress

     I made the decision to become a teacher when I was in the 4th grade. Not the typical age to choose a career path I know but I do not usual stick to a traditional format of doing things.  During my senior year of high school, I shadowed a master teacher that also happened to be my 1st grade teacher and while other college students were spring breaking in their bikinis, I was observing and working in classrooms of well respected teachers.  Therefore when I finally graduated from college and was hired into my first classroom at the young age of 21, I was ready to change the world, one child at a time. .. I still thought teaching was about "knowing" and thought I knew it all.
     Along my professional journey, I have been very fortunate to have leaders and mentors steer me to the best books to read, the most dynamic workshops to attend and expose me to all of the best practice methods that are researched-based and sure to help a  kid make great academic gains.  However my best teachers have been and always will be, my students!
     Anyone can teach average, well-behaved students.  You teach them the material, they catch on at a normal pace and everyone moves on.  However contrary to popular belief, average students are the minority.  Most students are either strides above the "average" or on the flip-side, strides below.  Many students have behavior or emotional issues that make learning difficult. Teaching non-average students which is the majority and helping them make gains in all academic areas, earns you the honored title, Teacher.
        During my first year of teaching, I had a 4th grade boy that broke me in right away.  I wish a kid like him for all first  year teachers! He was highly intelligent but was a severely ADHD! He would draw on himself during a lesson, literally try to climb the door frame and of course sit in every position possible at his desk besides the intended posture.  My favorite story about this student is when he was using the restroom and of course anywhere this child went racket and commotion was the result.  I stood in the proper teacher position of the restroom, inside the door frame where I could hear everything but not see anything and hollered something teacher-like I am sure when I overheard him complain, "The one place a man can be a man and Miss Cutter has to come in here." Teaching this student was fun but challenging.  I spent hours directly with this child and many more studying how to make progress with him.  On the last day of school,  I cried when he hugged me.  By the end of my first year, I was beginning to realize that teaching is not about "knowing" but about "learning."
        Another student a few years later also had some attention issues but unlike the pervious student, struggled academically. He would work hard for me and stayed by my side the entire year.  I learned a lot from this student in order to help him make strides.  My favorite story about this student occurred when one of the girls in the classroom was speaking with a lot of attitude towards me and this young man replied to her with even more attitude, "Ba-by- you need Je-sus!" It took all I had not to completely lose composure! However that incident taught me to tap into this child's wit to strengthen his writing.
        Throughout my 11 years in the classroom, I have gained lots of knowledge about kids, learning styles, parenting and a multitude of other lessons.  However I have such a long way to go to be where I want to be.  Teaching is not about knowing it all, but about learning all you possibly can!

No comments:

Post a Comment